Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

One last update on 2008. Joe and I went for our last run of the year on Tuesday evening after Braedon went to bed. Just about the time I start to think that Joe is the best running dog in the world, something happens. After running four miles, stride for stride, we were in the final stretch, and on a well lit street – which is an important piece information to note. Joe veered slightly left. No big deal I think, that is until I see the telephone poll we are approaching. I knew what was going to happen, but I couldn’t react; it was as if I was a casual observer, watching two fools. And with Joe on one side of the pole and me on the other, joined together with a four foot leash, well, we both made an abrupt stop as we met in the middle. Hopefully nobody saw us. And if anybody did see us, he or she probably got a laugh at our expense.


Enter 2009. I have never been one to be excited about staying up all night to welcome in the New Year. That, and because work has worn me out the past two weeks, I went to bed early. I did have every intention of waking up early to go run. But when that alarm went off at 4:45, there was no way I was getting out of my warm bed. I’m glad too, because it has been cold and windy all day. We took Braedon to our city park (the park we often run through), stayed about ten minutes and decided it was too cold and we should eat lunch instead. I have a very short memory, which is why after lunch, Mom and Braedon took a nap, and I thought, hey I should go for a run – the sun is out, it’s probably warmed up all of two degrees since we got back from the park. So I got all dressed up in my gear, wore extra shirts, I even wore a scarf. After a mile I decided I was too hot, stuffed the scarf in a pocket, and thought this wouldn’t be so bad. After mile three, once I crested one of the big hills and was greeted with a twenty mile an hour wind, I dug out the scarf and re-wrapped my face and thought this isn’t exactly what I envisioned. After that I guess I was kind of numb and just kept moving along, addressing the occasional passerby with a “Happy New Year.” Although cold, all in all it was a good run.

No comments: