Thursday, January 15, 2009

228 Miles per Gallon

In continuing to “run” errands whenever possible, I ran to the bank during lunch to deposit a check today. Being too frugal to buy an iPod, I entertain myself with the random thoughts that float through my head while running. Today’s random thought: If I were a car on a sales lot, what number would occupy the space next to the miles per gallon line on my window sticker. According to Cool Running, I burn 126 calories (kilocalories, really) per mile. There are approximately 28,760 calories (kcal) in a gallon of Exxon’s finest, which does vary with the density, and the seasonal and regional additives included in gasoline. Next, I broke out a piece of paper and a pencil, err, I mean Excel, and started calculating. My results: If I could ingest a gallon of gasoline to fuel my next run, the available energy would be enough for me to run 228 miles! I must be an expensive car. By contrast, my own car consumes roughly 870 calories (kcal) per mile.

5 comments:

Barry said...

I really wish, sometimes, that I had the discipline, desire and wherewithal to have continued with college. It's been too long now to go back. You're obviously quite brilliant and I appreciate your smarts.

I had a friend in college who was similar, and is a chemical engineer now outside of Buffalo. I marveled at her abilities in Organic Chemistry and Differential Equations, while I was taking and retaking algebra...

Great post!

Brian said...

Barry – thank you for your kind words. By the way, me and organic chemistry, we aren’t the best of friends – in fact I’m quite certain I still owe the chemistry lab money for all of their glassware that I broke.

Barry said...

The crazy thing is, I worked for the college as a lab assistant and also for the private water testing lab run out of the school. That I liked. The classwork, not so much. I liked the hands-on stuff more than the book work.

Live/Love/Life said...

Ok, way to many #'s.
I tried to figure out calories once in a brazil nut by burning it.
I actually made it to the science fair and got an award...LOL

Brian said...

Perplexed - That's a great story! I did stuff like that too, but I never got anything close to the expected answer (maybe that's why I was never invited to a science fair!).