Friday, December 19, 2008

Running Past Bedtime

I worked a lot of hours this week, and the only way I could fit running into the schedule was to run past bedtime. As I often wake up early on weekends to run, I figured why not stay up late on the weekdays to run too. Each night, after Braedon was in bed, Joe Louis and I would head out for our run. The reward was the transformation of tired, stressed, grumpy person to relaxed runner enjoying the euphoric rush of endorphins. My favorite part of each run was about the half way point, when we were the furthest from any road, and all I could hear was the sound of feet and paws hitting earth, and the jingle of the tags fixed to Joe’s collar. Occasionally, we’d scare up some deer, and watch their silhouettes leap and bound against the moonlit Chesapeake Bay. We’d end each run with the sight of festive lights decorating the town and homes in our neighborhood. All in all, I don’t care for sleep deprivation, but if I am going to stay up later than I should, I’d much rather it be for a run than for TV. I’m going to bed.

No comments: