Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Frozen Run and a Warm Shower

Winter welcomed me with a mix of sleet, snow, and rain as I stepped outside to begin my morning run. After checking the street to make sure it wasn’t too slick, I decided to run in the stuff (why not, I was already up). It was slow going for the first five or so miles while it was still dark, and because my glasses essentially acted as rain and ice collectors – and the portions of my lenses that were free of debris were usually fogged up. So, I ran most of the way looking directly at my feet, which resulted in running through a lot of puddles. Oddly, my feet did not seem to mind. After about ten miles I began to wonder what kept hitting my neck and shoulders. Only after looking down did I realize that my shirt had frozen. As I neared home, my neighbor greeted me with, “You’re insane!” And my wife said something about being crazy in my head. That may be, but it made a warm shower that much more enjoyable.

No comments: