Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year’s Resolution, Part II: Keep On Keeping On

I was fortunate to not have a lingering illness or injury to keep me from running during my 2008 running year. Looking back through my log book, rarely did I take two consecutive days off from running. With the exception of an important milestone, I will strive to maintain that consistency in 2009. The important milestone is that come February, Braedon will be a big brother! I’m certain I will log fewer miles for a couple of months after the baby is born as we get readjusted to life with midnight feedings and changings. I registered for a March 50K and a May marathon as motivation to keep running. Prior to Braedon’s birth, I was an active runner that rarely drank coffee. I also grossly underestimated the demands of an infant on his/her parents’ time. And soon I became a very inactive person that required nothing but the strongest coffee in order to get out of bed in the morning. Slowly, I got back into the fitness thing, and I have since weaned myself from my caffeine fix. Having a better realization of what it is like to be a caregiver for an infant (I’ll let my wife be the judge of that), I will try to prioritize my time so that I can be the supportive husband and good father while still logging a few miles. That I may not be in the best condition possible for my two upcoming races is of little concern to me. The important thing is to keep on keeping on.

2 comments:

Runner Tammy said...

Hi Brian,

It looks like you are a very dedicated runner. Which two events are you doing in 2009?

My husband and I have no children and we have learned in the past 4 days our pets are VERY low maintenance (pet sitting a 7 month old Sheepdog for the last 4 days is exhausting us).

Good luck in all your future events including your upcoming 2nd child, races and in keeping up your running throughout the next year.

Happy New Year,
Tammy

Brian said...

Hi Tammy. Thanks for stopping by. I signed up for the HAT Run 50K in Susquehanna State Park and the Delaware Marathon so far for '09. Even low maintenance pets aren't no maintenance - but they sure make life interesting. Happy New Year to you as well!