Saturday, February 7, 2009

Because So Much Is Riding On Your…Shoes?


I “ran” two errands during our stay in the hospital. The first errand was to Barnes and Noble to buy some books for big brother with gift cards my wife received at a baby shower. The second errand was back to Barnes and Noble to return the books I purchased in exchange for the “correct” books (oops!). While on the second errand I also went to the running store in Bel Air, Charm City Run. Both of the stores I visited are within two miles of the hospital, so, in my opinion, it would have been more of a hassle to drive, plus I would have had to pay a fee each time I exited the hospital’s parking garage.

I don’t go to Charm City Run all too often, mainly because it is sort of out of our way. When I have a reason to be in that part of town, I enjoy visiting Charm City Run because it affords me the opportunity to look over different brands of shoes and gear. Most of my running gear is from Nike, not because I am a loyal Nike costumer, although I have never had any complaints about any of my Nike gear, but because there is a small Nike outlet about two miles from our house. Thus, at times I can purchase Nike shoes that retail for $90 on sale at the outlet for less than $60. Problem is, being a small outlet, finding the shoes that work best for me is sometimes a crapshoot.

Back to Charm City Run; in a span of thirteen minutes and fifty-six seconds, I tried on three pairs of shoes and down-selected to a pair of Saucony Progrid Omin 7s after a quick spin on the treadmill. These are my first pair of Sauconys. After paying at the register, I was on the run back to the hospital. And all the way back, Michelin’s little advertising slogan, “because so much is riding on your tires,” was stuck in my head. In essence, when I run with Braedon, and someday with Brenden, so much is riding on my shoes.

1 comment:

Barry said...

I would love to get another pair of running shoes. I think you mentioned at one point it was good to have more than one pair to avoid injuries. Is that right?