Sunday, September 7, 2008

Big Cats and Falling Fish

I did mile repeats yesterday in the Perryville Park, which is a nice place to do that because the road that loops around the park is about a mile. On my way home through the VA Hospital grounds I saw a big feral cat. There are many feral cats that live in the VA/Park area and a lot of them get quite large as they are well fed by visitors. As I neared the cat I startled a bird of prey that was in a tree just between me and the cat. There are numerous birds of prey that reside in and around Perryville, including osprey, hawks, and even bald eagles. I was not able to identify the type of bird I startled, but I know that it was a bird of prey because I did catch a glimpse of a rather large bird, and the fact that I was nearly hit with a fish as it flew away. Apparently I chased the bird away from breakfast. I really didn’t mean to do that. I guess the cat will have another healthy meal. I’m glad the fish didn’t land on me. I don’t know what I would have thought, but being hit with a fish is the last thing on my mind during a morning run.

No comments: