Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Training for a Good Night’s Sleep

I like to sleep. Make that I love to sleep. Problem is, as I’ve aged, I’m now 35 years young, it takes longer for me to fall asleep, I wake up earlier, and I usually can’t sleep if I nap on a lazy afternoon. One of the benefits of putting a marathon on my calendar has been that it has forced me to really focus on running. Over the past few months I have gradually increased my weekly mileage and workout intensity. My tough workouts have become tougher, and the long runs longer. Coincidentally, my level of exhaustion at the end of the day has also increased over this same period, making for a very short trip to dreamland. As I see it, I’m no longer training solely for a marathon, but for a good night’s sleep as well. Good night.

No comments: